Thursday, October 16, 2014

Flat Stanley Went to Kansas


 

1) My name is Nancy.  I am Hannah's aunt.  I live in Lawrence, Kansas.

Lawrence is about 275 to 300 miles from St. Louis.

 

2) Lawrence, Kansas has 2 Universities.  One is the University of Kansas (Rock Chalk Jayhawk Go KU) and Haskell Native American University. These colleges bring students from all over the United States and the world which makes our town unique and interesting.

 

3)  Most of the state of Kansas is flat.  Wheat and corn are common crops.  However Lawrence, Kansas has several hills.  The state flower is the sunflower.

 

4)  I like living in a college town due to the sports and the people.  KU basketball is my favorite!

 

5)  PICTURE:   My 7 year old friend is named Ella.  She goes to school here.  Her favorite subject is math and she likes to eat ice cream.  I know that Hannah likes ice cream as well.  Flat Stanley also enjoyed this treat.

 

6)  PICTURE:  Some of you may have seen the movie the Wizard of Oz.  The Jayhawk in the picture has on ruby red slippers, an emerald eye, a yellow brick road beak, a hat like the tin man, and straw like the scarecrow.
 
Where is the lion part on the Jayhawk?  
We looked at another picture and found it on the head (the neck and mane).
This picture is from the Lawrence Journal-World.